It further turned out that Terje already had experience with on-line study groups run by the ACCU. When he described the ACCU approach, I was convinced we needed someone in the “mentor” role who could speak on the subject matter with authority—but on whom could we call for that?
Eventually, it dawned on me to ask Sean Parent. In case you didn’t know, Sean was, until recently, running Adobe’s Software Technology Lab, and EOP is a product of his group’s work. He worked closely with Alex and Paul on developing the subject material, and next to the authors themselves, is probably the most qualified person in the world to guide us through a reading. I knew Sean was very busy with his new job at Google, so it was a long shot…but he accepted!
Obviously, I’m thrilled. Based on Terje’s recommendations, here’s what Sean and I decided should happen next:
In a few weeks, we’ll choose twelve volunteer participants and negotiate the assignment of a chapter to each one.
We’ll take on a new chapter every couple of weeks; the person to whom the chapter was assigned will write a summary of the material and add any commentary they have to offer. Discussion will ensue in the article’s comments.
During that period, we’ll accept solutions to the chapter’s exercises, and by the end of the second week we’ll choose and refine what we think are the best answers, posting them in a separate article.
If you want to participate, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, letting us know. If you’re at all interested in this material, please don’t be afraid to sign up: your summary will matter, but it’s the quality of discussion that will make or break this project. If our readers’ past comments are any indication, we know it’s going to be great.
- “Elements of Programming” Study Group
- “Elements of Programming” Preface
- “Elements of Programming” Chapter 1: Foundations
- EOP Exercise Round-Up: Chapter 1
- “Elements of Programming” Chapter 2: Transformations and Their Orbits
- “Elements of Programming” Chapter 3 Preview
- Elements of Programming Study Group
- EOP Exercise Round-Up: Chapter 2
- "Elements of Programming" Schedule Announcement
- “Elements of Programming” Chapter 3: Associative Operations
- Elements of Programming Chapter 3 Exercise Summary
- Elements of Programming Chapter 4 “Linear orderings”
- "Elements of Programming" Chapter 5: Ordered Algebraic Structures